Kyle Busch, one of the biggest stars in professional racing, passed away on Thursday, May 21 at the age of 41 in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Busch was hospitalized earlier that day due to a sudden and severe illness, which forced his immediate withdrawal from the upcoming Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. He died later the same day. The specific cause and nature of the illness remain undisclosed at this time.
“Kyle has experienced a severe illness resulting in hospitalization. He is currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation,” the Busch family said in a statement earlier in the day.
“We are saddened and heartbroken to share the news of the passing of Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup champion and one of our sport’s greatest and fiercest drivers. He was 41 years old. We extend our deepest condolences to the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and the entire motorsports community,” NASCAR said in a statement of their own.
We are saddened and heartbroken to share the news of the passing of Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup champion and one of our sport's greatest and fiercest drivers. He was 41 years old.
We extend our deepest condolences to the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and the entire… pic.twitter.com/FARIF6OKrw
— NASCAR (@NASCAR) May 21, 2026
This is a developing story. Additional details will be added shortly.
