Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Powerful Red State Official Caught Hiring Illegal Alien As Chief Of Staff



Another top Indiana Republican is cutting ties with Secretary of State Diego Morales,  and this time it comes with a blunt demand that he step aside.

State Treasurer Daniel Elliott called on Morales to resign in a statement released early May 22, pointing to what he described as a steady string of controversies that have dogged Morales’ office.

“From allegations of corruption and mismanagement to the news that his own chief of staff was a non-citizen illegally registered to vote, these failures have created a constant stream of controversy that has shattered confidence in the office,” Elliott said. “I am calling on Diego Morales to resign immediately so the party and state can move forward.”

Elliott joins other GOP leaders who have publicly withdrawn support for Morales’ reelection bid, including U.S. Rep. Jim Banks and Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita. Rokita has urged Morales to suspend his campaign, while Banks has backed a challenger after previously endorsing Morales.

Morales is facing a contested nomination fight at the Indiana GOP state convention in June. He is slated to face Max Engling, an aide to Banks who filed to run May 20, as well as Knox County Clerk David Shelton and former Republican gubernatorial candidate Jamie Reitenour.

The winner will advance to the November general election against the Democratic nominee and Libertarian Lauri Shillings. Former Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard is also pursuing the ballot as a third-party candidate if he gathers enough signatures.

Morales’ time in office has drawn criticism from both sides of the aisle, including over overseas travel and the use of taxpayer dollars tied to a luxury state vehicle, according to previous reports.

Morales did not immediately respond to requests for comment from IndyStar in recent days. A spokesperson said he was unavailable when reporters visited his office.

In a post on X on May 21, Morales signaled he plans to stay in the race despite the growing backlash.

RELATED: NEW: Trump-Backed Candidates Dominate, Cruise To Victory Against Anti-Redistricting Republicans In Indiana

“Delegates will decide who will be the Republican nominee for Indiana secretary of state,” he wrote. “The decision belongs in the hands and only the hands of Republican convention delegates and I’m confident I’ll be renominated.”

Download the FREE Trending Politics App to get the latest news FIRST >>

You May Also Like

News

President Donald Trump said Friday that Aaron Lukas, the principal deputy director of national intelligence, will serve as acting director after Tulsi Gabbard leaves...

News

Sen. Thom Tillis unloaded on the Trump administration’s controversial DOJ “anti-weaponization” fund this week, calling the proposal “stupid on stilts” during a tense closed-door...

News

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard is stepping down from her post in the Trump administration to care for her husband after he was...

News

Haunting 911 audio has revealed the frantic moments before NASCAR legend Kyle Busch was rushed to the hospital days before his shocking death at...