San Diego police responded to reports of an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego, located in the city’s Clairemont area, on Monday afternoon. The center, which includes a mosque described as the largest in San Diego County and an associated K-12 school, was in session at the time of the incident.
Police received multiple reports of shots fired beginning around 11:40 a.m. local time. A heavy law enforcement presence was observed not long after, with armored vehicles and aerial units on scene.
The San Diego Police Department initially described the situation as active but contained and later stated that the threat had been neutralized by approximately 1 p.m.
During a press conference at 1:56 p.m. local time, a police spokesman confirmed that two shooters had been neutralized and were confirmed dead. The spokesman added that at least three victims were killed near the entrance to the center.
A nearby landscaper who was doing yard work nearby was also shot at, but escaped without injury. Officers soon responded to that location, at which point they found the two shooters dead in a parked vehicle from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds. The suspects were identified as teenagers by an FBI spokesperson.
!function(r,u,m,b,l,e){r._Rumble=b,r[b]||(r[b]=function(){(r[b]._=r[b]._||[]).push(arguments);if(r[b]._.length==1){l=u.createElement(m),e=u.getElementsByTagName(m)[0],l.async=1,l.src=”https://rumble.com/embedJS/u9lmzn”+(arguments[1].video?’.’+arguments[1].video:”)+”/?url=”+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+”&args=”+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify([].slice.apply(arguments))),e.parentNode.insertBefore(l,e)}})}(window, document, “script”, “Rumble”);
Rumble(“play”, {“video”:”v77uwfi”,”div”:”rumble_v77uwfi”});
The chairman of the Islamic Center, Ahmed Shabaik, told the Los Angeles Times that the victims included an armed security guard who confronted the shooters. No children were injured, and an imam confirmed that all teachers, students, and school staff were safe.
San Diego Police Department spokesperson Colin Steinbroner said officers were still working to determine a motive, as well as the sequence of events leading up to the attack. He added that the incident is being investigated as a hate crime until proven otherwise.
California Governor Gavin Newsom’s office confirmed he had been briefed and that emergency management officials were coordinating with local authorities. “We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” the statement read.
The FBI is on scene and assisting with the investigation. Additional details will be provided as they become available.
